Thursday, June 28, 2007

Flash Floods Stall Letterboxing

We have not had much luck letterboxing today. There were horrendous flash floods due to the unprecedented rain on Monday. Many people's homes are under 5 - 4 ft of water. Thankfully the worst I had on Monday was 3inches across the garden and in the garage. It just stayed below my tumble dryer which is on blocks in the garage. Trains and all public transport was stopped into the city. The next morning my garden was back to normal.

I was just going to stay local for one or two boxes with Britannia but sat in my nice dry home I hadn't realized that the flooding was still causing problems in the surrounding countryside. The roads I needed to get to the letterboxes had police diverting everyone back, and although I tried a few back roads they were just flooded and so I gave up trying to find a way through.




Nevertheless Britannia has managed to do some of the usual things you do when stuck indoors. She found a couple of garden letterboxes, one of which was near the Gnome-ery, studied the map ready for letterboxing adventures to come, and made me get out my Personal Traveller so that she could look through the logbook and also get the stamp for her own book. In the middle of all this she had a slight moment of homesickness, but turned the computer on in order to catch a quick glimpse of her own dear Bear family.

1 comment:

midlandtrailblazer said...

thanks for the creative ideas!